Updated Toy Standard ISO 8124-1:2018
ISO standard 8124-1 “Part 1: Safety aspects related to mechanical and physical properties” has been updated and published in March 2018, so as to align with European EN71 and US ASTM F963 amendments.
The followings are the highlights of the updated ISO 8124-1:2018 standards:
- Amended the definition of cords, elastic, fixed loop, tangled loop, noose, electrical cable, cord with the potential to tangle, large and bulky toy, paper, pompom, A-weighted equivalent sound pressure level, maximum A-weighted equivalent sound pressure level, pull or push toy;
- Added the definitions of paperboard and steady state sound;
- Deleted the definitions of continuous sound and impulsive sound;
- Added the fibrous filling material and limited the exemption from elastics to elastic fabric in the exemption list of small part requirement;
- Exempted the paperboard from foreseeable abuse testing;
- Clarified the warning requirements of toys for children 36 months and over but under 72 months;
- Modified the arrow of energy density requirements;
- Modified the cord requirements and methods which align to EN 71-1 and added the requirement of yo-yo balls, straps, sledges and toboggans with cord for pulling;
- Modified the c-weighted requirements for close-to-the-ear toys;
- Modified the tip over test method and definition of large and bulky toys;
- Added the requirement of jaw entrapment in handles and steer of wheels which align to ASTM F963
Who is your reliable partner?
We are HOKLAS and HKIAS accredited third-party laboratory
and able to provide the testing services for complying the new requirements
against updated standard ISO 8124-1:2018.